Tuesday, September 13, 2005

and the greatest is love

Today I've been trying to recalibrate. To be more accurate, I am trying to figure out how God wants me to set my sights to begin with.

I am saddened by the fact that after being in and around the church and its people for 28 years, I feel no closer to the ideal that Jesus represents. I have literally put up my hands, reaching towards Heaven for a connection...I have sat in silence in attempt to "be still and know"...I have fruitlessly read and re-read the same familiar passages of my Bible...

I ask God and others: "What am I missing? What am I not doing? What is it going to take?" These questions asked in response to my daily sin and to my feeling of general disconnection to the God I pray to.

The answer God seems to be pointing me back to relates to love. Consider the words God showed me today:

In my Sunday School lesson, the writer is relating God's greatest commands ("to love the Lord your God with all your heart...[and] Love your neighbor as yourself"). He explains: "While liking a person is primarily an emotional response, loving a person is a choice we make--a choice to treat him or her as Jesus treats us."

In Rumors of An Invisible World, Yancey says that the most important qualities in a human are compassion, generosity, humility, and love (rather than the ones we praise most loudly: fame, success, wealth, health, etc...)

These words angle me back to view what God has tried to show me a hundred thousand times--LOVE. Love, pure and separated from emotion, first as an act of obedience and then developing into something more.

Our love for God and our love for those around us--this has to be the answer.

And again (for my benefit): Love is not a feeling.

God's word -- Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

And this not just for my wife? my kids? God, you want me to love like this for everybody? I mean, I consider myself giving and caring...but this Love?

I'm going to read and re-read that passage. It is comforting to know that God has given us all the capacity to love like this.

Now to get to it...

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, September 13, 2006, Blogger geronimo said...

a revisit to the old posts reveals a few things learned...a few answers to the questions I've tossed out.

For this one, I found the word "LOVE" as a hopeful answer, the missing link in my Christianity. But, I think I missed something.

The love was directed primarily to "others," and not the supreme other, my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

This is the missing link. It is from here and by here that our love for others "as yourself" finds its beginning. It is from here our actions fall into line. It is from here that we are redeemed, permanently, from sin and death.

Thank you, God. You are the perfect Father--your patience is to be praised!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home