Monday, September 19, 2005

Glory Days...?

Glory days, well they’ll pass you by...Glory days, in the wink of a young girl’s eye...Glory days, glory days.........

I wonder about the danger in reliving my exploits.

Among my like-minded friends, I am quick to pull out a story that quantifies my manhood in alcoholic or sexual terms, usually followed by my voicing a half-hearted regret. These stories are kept to myself, however, in "mixed company" where my validity as a Christian can come into question.

Aren't I merely taking advantage of the "safety" found in the company of my Christian friends?

Here's the rub: If the sharing of the stories is done for the purpose of relating to my friend (that is, in effort to remain open) towards improving the kingdom of God, then there is no issue. If, however, I'm doing it because "that's what guys do", then something seems lost.

Should I be garnishing cool points from the sins that Jesus already erased? If I do, should I not then be required to again seek forgiveness?

If I am truly sorrowful for having sinned against my Father, shouldn't I talk of these stories in shame? Or, since forgiven, shouldn't I be relating them in terms of my victory over my past?

In relating my glory days (a very ironic name, considering), I reveal something beneath the surface--a longing for the thrill of the experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home