Monday, February 06, 2006

"repentance without regret, leading to salvation"

"True saints do not get discouraged over their faults, for they recognize that a person who feels no guilt can never find healing. Paradoxically, neither can a person who wallows in guilt. The sense of guilt only serves its designed purpose if it presses us toward the God who promises forgiveness and restoration.
I once thought Christians went through life burdened by guilt, in contrast to carefree unbelievers. I now realize that Christians are the only persons who do not have to go through life feeling guilty. Guilt is only a symptom; we listen to it because it drives us toward the cure."


From Guilt Good and Bad The early warning signs by Philip Yancey
Copyright © 2002 Christianity Today. November 18, 2002, Vol. 46, No. 12, Page 112

Paul spoke about this in Corinthians:
"For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death." 2 Corinthians 7:10

I know I've wasted so many days of my life wallowing in guilt over one sin or another, fretting at my inability to be perfect. I now understand that I should be praising God for allowing me the benefit of conscience, for not forsaking me in spite of it all. This guilt that drove me to "crocodile tears" all these years was missing the mark precisely due first to a lack of this perspective.

Perhaps this realization would have made it easier to repent. Perhaps when I cried out in earnest and asked Him "why?", this truth would have driven me to take the one fundemental step that I could never seem to keep going: daily prayer and meditation on God's Word.

"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Just this week I have been given a glimpse of God's rewards for daily commitment. He used me this past week in a truly amazing way! It is only because I committed to Him each day, sought his purging, and kept my eyes open for his work around me that I was able to be there for my friend.

Father, please check my pride. Please open my eyes to your work, to your hands in my life and give you all the credit and praise for this change in my life and for the amazing miracle that you performed through me last week. Precious Lord, you've spared me the retribution that I have long-deserved. I owe so much for my sin! You gave Jesus, as if that wasn't enough! And still you hold back your hand of judgement against me! Thank you, Father, for your grace in my life, and in the life of my family.

Prepare me Lord, for the day of trial that is to come. Please give me strength to endure, to stay bowed before you, whatever may come. I still have fears, Father, fears of losing those things that I hold dear. Help me to give back to you the gifts that you have given me: my life, my wife, my children, my comfortable home, and the daily provision that I treat as my own. Take them Father and make them yours. In Jesus' name...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home