Tuesday, April 11, 2006

some things I want to know_Part 1

2. Any unrelenting convictions (religious, moral, whatever)?

David:

Yes

Justin:

1. The Braves will never again win the world series. Very sad. 2. God's Love/Forgiveness is much greater than we can imagine. 3. So many of my convictions are actually traditions that have been passed down. I am trying to seek God in every area of my life. God - how do YOU feel about this topic. Not my parents, not my pastor, not my friends, not America, not republicans, etc..

Greeley:

My convictions are to be a compassionate, loving, and humble man that does not judge and condemn others. A man that seeks and stands on God's truth and not mans truth. I do not want to be a cultural Christian. Jesus was a radical man, who rattled the religious foundation of his time. He showed grace, love and mercy to the humble, and he showed law to the arrogant and proud (Religious leaders of His time). John 8:7 "He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her." Now, was Jesus a man without convictions because He showed grace to her and many other sinners?

Eric:

Religious: The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God. If this is not so, then everything else is fair game (creation, sin, virgin birth, death,resurrection, second coming just to name a few).

Moral: see religious conviction. Again, if we do not have a clear revelation of morality, then who decides what is moral or immoral? Nature? I sure hope not. Ask a gazelle if nature should decide morality while Mufasa is chewing out its spleen! God is the source of all morality, whether we like it or not. And if the Bible is not inerrant, then our morality has no foundation.One more example: some (non-Christians) argue, “whatever advances humanity is what is moral” (this allows them to answer to crimes like murder, rape, child abuse). They say the greatest good is living. Ask a Christian martyr if there is anything greater than living. They will answer of course! Faithfulness to God is more important. Union with Christ is more important! The naturalist decides morality based on his or her own personal agenda. But who is to saythat their agenda is right. This is why we must have an outside source of morality. And this source must be perfect! If you wrestle with the inerrancy of Scripture, please consider the devastating implications (just a food for thought).

Jeremy:

I'm working on them as we speak. I've had what you might call "unrelenting convictions" in the past, but their foundation was too shaky to be meaningful.
The phrase “you’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything” keeps popping into my mind (it is, however, slightly tainted since Aaron Tippin sang it years back, and I think he’s a dork). I worry about not having a foundation. I worry that if I don’t take a stand somewhere (you pick your issue), defaulting solely to the blank check of tolerance, I’ll find myself too much of the world.Convictions, to me, mean uncompromising beliefs. Being still a “babe” in my Christian walk, I too am afraid to stand firm on an issue, and I feel reluctant to be labeled as a hypocrite or as being guilty of a closed, legalistic mind. But I hope to find that balance. After all, Jesus took a stand. He stood for justice and forgiveness, charity and love…but he also called for repentance while at the same time he brazenly cleared the temple of the hypocrites and legalists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home