Tuesday, April 11, 2006

some things I want to know_Part 5

6. Any quotes you find thought-provoking?

David:

None come to mind at the moment.

Justin:

1. "Never, Never, Never Give Up" Churchill
2. "If you have nothing to die for, you probably have nothing to live for" Martin Luther King Jr.
3. "Since childhood's hour, I've not been as others were, I've not seen as others saw" Edgar Allen Poe.

Greeley:

"Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different. Life would undergo a change of appearance because we ourselves had undergone a change of attitude."
-Katherine Mansfield

"Hate the sin. Love the Sinner." -Gandhi

"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are."

Eric:

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which cannot lose. – Jim Elliot, missionary murdered by the Auca Indians.

I am not, but I know I AM. – Louie Giglio (if confused, read Exodus 3 and John 8)

I am your servant, but you are not my master! – Alistair Begg, in a sermon to his home congregation (Parskide Church, Cleveland, Ohio)

Jesus Christ is not safe, but He is satisfying! – John Piper

Golgotha is not a suburb of Jerusalem! – John Piper on Hebrews 13:13

Why do liberals protect the guilty (death row inmates) but destroy the innocent (unborn children)? – Mark Lafluer

Some people say I have a swagger. In Texas, we call that (brief pause) walkin’. – George W. Bush

Jeremy:

“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

“You see, boys forget what their country means by just reading The Land of the Free in history books. Then they get to be men they forget even more. Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books, Miss Saunders. Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that.” From Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

From Lonesome Dove (a paraphrase):
[referring to the Hat Creek Cattle Company sign] Woodrow Call: ...and if that ain't bad enough you got all them Greek words on there, too.
Gus McCrae: I told you, Woodrow, a long time ago it ain't Greek, it's Latin.
Woodrow Call: Well what does it say in Latin? [Gus blusters some gibberish]
Woodrow Call: For all you know it invites people to rob us.
Gus McCrae: Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home